Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A little bit of everything.

I was watching QVC the other day (its my guilty pleasure with a cup of coffee on the weekends) and was watching the Kitchenaid special. They had mixers and food processors on. OH MY GOD. I need one of both. in Red. Santa, please?!

I went to the cheese place last Friday, since I had time. I picked up some fresh mozzerella...I'm guilty. I eat it like candy, and the guy who packaged it for me winked knowingly, and said he did the same. What I also got, in addition to fresh gnocchi, which I love, was cheese called LaTur.  It is amazing! Billy wasnt thrilled, because it is extremely pungent, and definetly different, and somewhat expensive (18.00 a lb, which I only bought 1/2 lb. It lasts, I swear, and its phenomenal). I am not generally one to spend money on stuff like that...I would rather spend it on fish or steak, but this stuff is unbelievable. check out a blog I follow, the Reluctant Gourmet, for his take on it. Its 3 different types of milk put together, and is the consistency of brie, sort of, only a little softer. I can imagine this baked in phyllo dough. OOH. I'll have to try that.
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/blog/all-about-cheese/la-tur-cheese/

Mexican food. So on Sunday, we were out and about, and went to costco in Milford. While we were down there, we decided to eat at a new mexican restaurant (at least new in orange) called Puerto Vallarta. I have eaten at one before in Southington, and was not super impressed, so I was hoping for a good experience. Boy did I get one. I stuck with something I know, and know well....fajitas. I got the lunch portion, and honestly, did not need any more. What also made me very happy was they offered the lunch menu on the weekends, which many restaurants do not do.  They bring warm chips to the table throughout your meal with fresh salsa, and the fajitas are absolutely amazing. Sizzing flank steak with warm corn tortillas, homemade guacamole, rice and beans, peppers and onions. I was in total heaven, and I ate everything. Billy had some Mole thingy which he said was very good, and Allie had the burger said that it was one of the best she ever had. So, after I finished eating my sizzling plate (way better than
chilis, and i LOVE chilis) I decided that I wanted to try some kind of dessert.

Does anyone remember Chilis back in the day with the cinnamon tortilla bowl with ice cream? Well, Puerto Vallarta has it. However, it was cold, and I wasnt into something like ice cream. So, I got Sopapillas, which are fresh fried, honey and cinnamon tortillas with whipped cream and a cherry. Oh my god. They are amazing and different, and totally wonderful. And, they are incredibly reasonable price wise. ($3).  It was a wonderful experience, and we will definetly be back. For all our chow, which left us all stuffed and unable to eat dinner 3 hours later, I think with tip, it was $50. Thats pretty good for 3 people, with dessert. I definetly recommend it, and they have locations in Newington, Southington, and Orange (maybe a few more, but those are the ones i'm familiar with).

http://www.puertovallartausa.com/default.asp

Anyway....more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment